News release text
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is once again highlighting the importance of keeping a check on your cooking following four kitchen fires yesterday.
Crews in Canterbury were called to Ethelbert Road at 3:36pm after a cooker hood caught alight. Firefighters arrived at the scene within 2 minutes and quickly tackled the fire and removed smoke from the property. Following the fire two women were taken to hospital and given precautionary checks for smoke inhalation.
Around three hours later firefighters in Ashford were called to Adams Drive due to food catching alight in an oven. It’s believed that the resident had started cooking but unfortunately fell asleep causing her meal to overheat and eventually catch alight. Thankfully a passer-by raised the alarm and the occupier got out of her home safely before crews arrived and removed smoke from the ground floor flat. The resident was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene but did not require any further medical attention.
A further two incidents; one in Sittingbourne at 11:19am and the other in Ramsgate at 4:51pm, involved cooking catching alight under the grill which the residents were able to deal with safely before requiring assistance.
KFRS Community Safety Manager, Charlie Smith, said: “Cooking still remains one of the main causes of fire in the home so we’re urging people not to become distracted and keep their attention on what’s going on in the kitchen.
“As these incidents show fire can break out when you least expect it so always ensure that cooking is not left unattended and that appliances are switched off after use. It is also vital to make sure you fit smoke alarms on each floor of your home and test them regularly, so that they can give you early warning to a fire.”
To help keep your family safe from kitchen fires follow these simple tips:
Keep the oven, hob, toaster and grill clean – a build-up of fat, crumbs or grease can easily catch fire.
When cooking, take care if you’re wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire.
Keep electrical leads, tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
Never leave children alone in the kitchen.
Keep matches, lighters and saucepan handles where children can’t reach them, and fit a safety catch on the oven door.
Don’t leave pans on the hob when you’re not around. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the kitchen.
When you have finished cooking, make sure you switch off the oven and hob.
If oil has overheated; turn off the heat, put the lid on, and leave to cool down. If a fire has started, get out, stay out and call 999. Close doors as you leave.
For further advice on how to keep you, your family or a neighbour safe from fire call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.