News release text
The dangers of using accelerants to start a barbeque have once again been highlighted after two men in Tunbridge Wells were taken to hospital on Wednesday night (9 April).
Firefighters were called to Woolley Grove at 5:34pm after reports that a barbeque had exploded. On arrival the crew put out the fire with a hose reel jet and assisted ambulance crews in treating two men suffering from burns to their face and chest.
Watch Manager Mark Havell, who attended the incident, said: “It appears that the two men were trying to light up the barbeque and attempted to speed up the process by using fuel used for remote control cars. Unfortunately the vapours from the fuel ignited leading to both men suffering from burns.”
I cannot stress enough how dangerous using accelerants such as petrol to light a barbeque or bonfire really is, so if you are planning a family get together in the garden always keep safety in mind and follow instructions carefully.”
Crews returned to Woolley Grove last night (Thursday) providing barbeque safety information to local residents.
To help ensure your barbeque runs smoothly follow our simple safety tips:
Never use accelerants such as petrol to light a barbeque or bonfire. If you have to, only ever use only recognised fire lighters or starter fuel, and only use on cold coals. Use the minimum quantity necessary to start the fire
Make sure the site chosen for the barbecue is flat, well away from sheds, fences and overhanging branches.
Use only enough charcoal to cover the base of the barbecue to a depth of about 50mm (two inches)
Keep children and garden games well away from the cooking area
Never leave the barbecue unattended
When the cooking is finished, make sure the barbecue is cool before trying to move it
Empty the spent ashes onto bare garden soil
Never put ashes straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin
For further advice on how to keep you, your family or a neighbour safe from fire call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.