Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Curious child sparks microwave fire

Publication date
03 April 2014
News release text
A young child is thought to have accidentally started a fire in Gillingham yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, 2 April) after putting a toy in the microwave. 
 
The fire started after the curious child put a toy bowl in the microwave oven and switched it on, causing it to catch alight. The smoke alarms in the property alerted the child's mother to the blaze and she phoned 999. 
 
Two fire engines from Medway were sent to the terraced house in Balmoral Road at 2.35pm and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the small fire. 
 
Medway Crew Manager, Darryl Spicer, said: "Children of this age are obviously unaware of the potential dangers of fire. The kitchen can be a very dangerous room for young children who are naturally curious and imitate people around them. My advice would be to make your kitchen a child-free zone unless you are supervising them at all times. 
 
"This incident once again highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home, they really can and do save lives." 
 
The fire was limited to the kitchen and the mother suffered a slight burn to her hand and arm. 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon