News release text
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to take extra care when using tumble dryers after an incident that they attended in Aylesham yesterday evening (Thursday).
It is believed that the machine was left running in a garden shed by the resident, while they were out. A neighbour raised the alarm at 5.45pm after spotting the fire. A PCSO who was in the area attempted to tackle the fire with a garden hose prior to fire crews arriving.
Two fire engines were sent to the Milner Crescent property and crews used a high pressure hose reel to extinguish the blaze, which completely destroyed the shed before spreading to the house, affecting the windows, fascia and guttering. The fire also damaged fascia, guttering and a conservatory on a neighbouring property.
Canterbury Watch Manager, Scott Pearce, said: “Fire can break out in electrical appliances when you least expect it. So it’s best not to leave tumble dryers, washing machines and dishwashers running while you are out or overnight. They are a fire risk because of their high wattage, friction and motors. They get very hot and need to be ventilated properly and kept uncluttered so the heat can escape.
“If you follow this rule but notice an appliance is unusually hot, call a qualified electrician who will be able to check its safe.”
The fire was out by 6.18pm and crews remained at the scene damping down for a further 20 minutes.