News release text
Most of us enjoy making and eating pancakes but with a quarter of all fires attended by Kent Fire and Rescue Service starting in the kitchen, firefighters are reminding people to use safety as their special ingredient this Pancake Day.
Head of Community Safety, Stuart Skilton said: “If you’re going to be using a frying pan to cook pancakes on Shrove Tuesday (4 March), take extra care but clearly this advice is vital whenever you’re cooking in the kitchen and it’s a good opportunity to teach your children about cooking safely. It only takes a few seconds for an unattended pan to catch alight and develop into a serious fire. Don’t dice with death, stand by your pan and always stay in the kitchen while you’re cooking.
“Fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly, they really could save your life. Knowing how you would evacuate your home in the event of a fire will help increase your chances of escaping safely. Make a fire escape plan so that everyone in your home knows what they need to do and how to get out quickly.”
Follow these simple fire safety tips to make sure your day does not go up in smoke:
Make sure that the fat in the pan doesn’t smoke. If it does, remove it from the heat and wait for it to cool before adding your pancake mixture
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean – a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
If a pan does catch alight, don’t take risks by trying to move it – burns last a lifetime. Turn the heat off if it is safe to do so and never throw water over it
If there is a fire, don’t try to tackle it yourself, get out – closing the door behind you and phone the fire service.
Not following this advice could be a recipe for disaster.