News release text
A man and woman from Farningham were treated for smoke inhalation this morning after fire broke out in a fuse box in the hallway of a three storey block of flats.
Two fire engines were sent to the High Street property at 1.57am and Dartford Watch Manager, Vince Lewis, said: “Fortunately, it was a small fire that had burnt out before we arrived but it created a large amount of smoke, which the pair breathed in, so they had to be given oxygen therapy.”
The residents were alerted to the fire by the smoke alarm sounding in the communal hallway but while crews were at the property, they discovered the rechargeable batteries in some of the smoke alarms in the individual flats had been removed.
Vince added: ““It only takes three breaths of toxic smoke to knock you unconscious, with potentially fatal consequences, so it’s really important that you test your smoke alarms weekly to make sure they work and never remove the batteries. You could fit smoke alarms in every room in your home but they’re pointless if they don’t work.”
Fire crews delivered fire safety advice to neighbouring properties but you can get free home fire safety advice by calling Kent Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 923 7000 (free from landlines) or email email@example.com