News release text
A Gravesend woman has smoke alarms to thank for saving her and her home, after an early morning clean of her oven accidentally led to a fire this morning (Friday 23 May).
The Albion Road resident accidentally switched on the grill of her electric oven while she gave it a clean and food remnants in the pan caught light but she was fortunately alerted by a smoke alarm which had been fitted by Kent Fire and Rescue Service.
Thames-side Watch Manager Danny Turner said: “The lady got out and rang 999 and we sent two pumps to her home where fortunately, the fire was contained to the oven and surrounding area in her basement kitchen.
“This callout shows how easily a fire can occur in the kitchen and how invaluable smoke alarms are as the damage to her home, and the potential for injury, could have been considerable if the alarm had not been raised so promptly.”
The fire crews were called at 7.30am and were at the scene within seven minutes. The fire caused minor damage to the cooker and minor heat and smoke damage to the surrounding areas but was quickly dealt with and was out by 7.43am.
Residents can ring KFRS for home safety advice on 0800 923 7000 or visit the website at http://www.kent.fire-uk.org/
Key kitchen tips include:
Don’t leave cooking unattended. Turn off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal.
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly
If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.