News release text
The weather might have warmed up but firefighters are not seeing any let up in the number of chimney fires they are attending.
Since Monday, firefighters from across the county have been called to nine properties where chimneys have caught alight:
Hungershall Park Close, Tunbridge Wells at 8.44am this morning (Thursday). One pump attended and crews used chimney gear to tackle the fire.
Forest Road, Paddock Wood, 6.30am (Thursday). Firefighters tackled a blaze in a wood burning stove.
Chapel Road, Tilmanstone, Deal 6.43pm (Wednesday). Crews used chimney rods to extinguish a chimney fire that had started in a log burner.
Curzon Road, Maidstone 8.19pm (Tuesday). Firefighters used ladders to access a fire that was contained to the chimney.
Eastern Road, Leysdown, 8.15pm (Tuesday). Crews used a hose reel to put out a small fire in a chimney flue liner attached to a large log burning stove.
Pested Lane, Challock, 1.48pm (Tuesday). Two fire engines attended for an hour tackling a chimney fire above a wood burning stove.
Risborough Lane, Folkestone, 6.20pm (Monday). Two crews attended for half an hour.
Town Road, Petham, 1.17pm (Monday), although the fire was out before crews arrived, firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to check the chimney breast and loft space for fire spread.
Mill Lane, Canterbury, 11.10am (Monday). One pump was called to a pub chimney that was alight. The chimney was rodded and cleared by firefighters and a thermal imaging camera used to check for hot spots.
The majority of these incidents were caused by a build up of soot from previous use.
Community Safety Manager, Charlie Smith, said: “A chimney fire might seem like an unlikely event, especially now that the weather has warmed up a little but these fires have the potential to do a lot of damage to your home and can put your family at risk.
“If you use an open fire or wood burning stove, include it on your spring cleaning list. Get your chimney inspected and swept regularly by a registered chimney sweep, this will help prevent a fire. If the worst should happen, a smoke alarm will give you the early warning and extra time needed to escape a house fire. Fit them on every floor of your home and test them regularly.”
Get free fire safety advice from Kent Fire and Rescue Service or call 0800 923 7000.