News release text
Fire crews are praising quick thinking residents in Bearsted following a fire caused by magnified sunrays yesterday afternoon (Thursday).
Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called to Mount Lane shortly after 2pm when concerned neighbours saw smoke coming from a garage. On arrival firefighters gained entrance to the detached garage and removed a hand towel that had caught alight.
Maidstone Watch Manager, Howard Dellow, who attended the incident, said: “The garage was being used as an improvised art studio and sunrays focused onto the towel from a hands-free magnifying glass caused it to catch alight.
“Thankfully we were called before the fire was able to spread, possibly causing extensive damage to the garage and adjacent bungalows.
“Although sunshine has been in short supply this winter, the low lying sun can be magnified onto flammable items in your home, so be careful when positioning a magnifying glass, mirror, or any other glass object capable of focusing the suns rays.”