News release text
A couple’s frantic search for their missing cat turned into a job for firefighters yesterday (21 September) after they realised it had become trapped behind their fireplace.
Owners, Jim and Theresa Buckland, were introducing Frank, their new one-year-old Apricot Point Siamese cat to their home in Staines Hill that day and had put it in the dining room to help it acclimatise.
Mr Buckland said: “When they returned to the room, the cat was nowhere to be seen, and after a long search we realised the only place he could be was up the chimney.
“With no way of reaching him, we became more and more worried for his safety and started ringing around to try and get some help. Eventually, our vet suggested we call the fire service”.
An officer from Kent Fire and Rescue Service was sent to the scene to make an initial assessment and discovered that the cat had indeed become trapped in a very tight space between the chimney and the fire surround, with no way of releasing itself.
A fire crew from was sent to assist and, with the owners permission, they removed the fire place surround and disconnected a gas fire to reach the stricken cat, which they were then able to free, unharmed.
Mr Buckland said. “It is a huge relief to us that Frank was released safety and we are very thankful to the fire crews, who did a really good job. I have no idea what we would have done without their help.”