Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Two treated for smoke inhalation after kitchen fires

Publication date
19 September 2013
News release text
Two Dartford residents were treated for smoke inhalation after tackling a fire that had broken out in their kitchen last night (Wednesday). 
 
Fire crews were called to Wade Close at 8.32pm and used a hose reel jet to put out the small fire. 
 
Dartford Blue Watch Crew Manager, Richard Cromarty, said: “It appears a plastic storage container had been inadvertently left on a lit cooker hob. On discovering the blaze, the man attempted to put it out using wet towels but unfortunately, he and his partner – both believed to be in their 40’s – had to be treated by paramedics at the scene for the effects of breathing in smoke.” 
 
Fire crews used a positive pressure ventilation (PPV) fan to clear smoke and fumes from the property. They also visited neighbouring properties giving fire safety advice. 
 
Earlier the same day, crews were sent to Sun Lane, Gravesend at 1.28pm after a tray of oil was left under the internal oven grill. Fortunately, the homeowner spotted the small fire, so quickly switched off the grill and closed the oven door. This starved the fire of oxygen and it burnt out but not before filling the house with smoke, which was cleared by firefighters using a PPV fan. 
 
Dartford Red Watch Crew Manager, Julian Light said: “We urge all residents to stay fire safe and be careful with their cooking - remember, fire starts when your attention stops.” 
 
By following our safety tips you can keep you and your family safe from fires in the kitchen. 
 
Don’t leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you leave the room 
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob 
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool 
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire 
If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal. 
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly 
If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service. 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon