Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Whitstable cooking fire leads to safety warnings

Publication date
08 September 2013
News release text
A woman’s been treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire in Whitstable, shortly before midnight on Friday (6 September). 
 
Two crews from Whitstable were sent to the flat in Glebe Way after residents in the flat above heard smoke alarms sounding 
 
Crew Manager Graeme Browning said: “We think the woman had put a pizza in the oven but she then fell sleep and the food caught light, causing a large amount of smoke. Amazingly she didn’t wake to the sound of the smoke alarms but fortunately her neighbours did and they raised the alarm. We managed to force an entry and led the woman to safety but we hope this incident reminds others of the importance of working smoke alarms and never leaving cooking unattended.” 
 
Crews were at the scene while paramedics treated the woman for smoke inhalation. No major damage was caused. Firefighters are also reminding residents to consider parking carefully as some poorly positioned vehicles meant the appliances had some difficulty getting to the house. 
 
Graeme added: “We had a few problems with cars being poorly parked on both sides of the road which created a bit of an issue for us as we could not get as near as we would have liked and we had to get the vehicles moved to get through. 
 
“Fortunately it did not affect the outcome in this case but we urge motorists to consider carefully how they park because, in another case it might have done and we don’t want to be dealing with a fatality because someone’s has parked inconsiderately." 
 
Residents are reminded to follow these safety tips to avoid a kitchen fire occurring in their home: 
 
 
 
Don’t leave cooking unattended. Turn off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops 
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob 
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool 
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire 
If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal. 
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly 
If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service. 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon