News release text
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is reminding residents to stay safe in the kitchen after a fire broke out at a home in Deal yesterday (Tuesday).
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the smoke-logged property on Gladstone Road shortly after 2pm and tackled the flames with a hose reel jet.
The fire is believed to have started when the occupier became distracted while cooking and left a chip pan on the hob unattended. A man who was asleep upstairs when the fire broke out was only made aware of what was happening when a neighbour called up to his room.
Thanks to the efforts of the crews involved the fire was restricted to the kitchen although the rest of the house was damaged by smoke. The man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene but did not require further medical attention.
Deal Watch Manager, David Potter, said: “There are two very important safety messages that have been highlighted by this incident. Firstly, never leave cooking unattended, especially when frying with hot oil. If you do need to leave the kitchen while cooking make sure the pan is removed from any heat source.
“Secondly, fit smoke alarms on every floor of your property and test them regularly. If it wasn’t for the quick thinking of the neighbour the man might not have known what was going on until it was too late. With a working smoke alarm it’s likely he would have been alerted to the fire earlier and got out before the smoke reached the bedroom”.