News release text
“Fitting a smoke alarm really can save your life”. That’s the message from Whitstable firefighters following a fire in a family home this morning (Friday).
One appliance attended St Andrews Close shortly after 10am after residents reported a fire in their kitchen which they had tackled with buckets of water. The crew arrived on the scene within four minutes and ensured the small fire was fully put out and the scene made safe.
The fire is believed to have started due a fault in a water heater. One man was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation but did not require further medical attention.
Watch Manger Richard Judge, who attended the incident, said: “The occupants were asleep when the fire broke out and it was only by the smoke alarm sounding that they became aware of what was happening in their home. Thankfully this early warning gave them sufficient time to put out the fire themselves before it became fully developed.
“As this incident shows fitting and maintaining working smoke alarms on every floor of your property is essential. I would also like to remind people to only tackle a fire if you feel confident that by doing so you will not put yourself or others in danger. It is far safer to get out of your home and call the fire service.”