News release text
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take care when out in the countryside following two large outdoor fires in Canterbury and Chestfield yesterday (Wednesday) which are believed to have been caused by carelessness.
Two fire engines attended Clowes Woods near Radfall Road at 1:12pm where approximately 200 square metres of woodland had caught alight. A main line jet and beaters were used to tackle the flames and crews remained at the scene until just after 4pm damping down. The fire is believed to have been caused by either a cigarette being discarded or a small camp fire left to burn out unattended.
A further outdoor fire was reported behind Canterbury golf course at 5:32pm, covering approximately one hundred square metres of grassland and undergrowth. Crews used a hose reel, fire beaters, and flex packs to tackle the blaze and spent just over two hours ensuring the fire was completely extinguished. Again the incident is believed to have been caused by a poorly discarded cigarette.
Community Safety Manager, Stuart Skilton, said: “During the summer outdoor fires are a major issue for our crews as they can spread easily and destroy thousands of acres of countryside, crops and wildlife habitats. This puts enormous demands on our resources as well as posing a serious threat to lives and homes.
“We are appealing to people to ensure that they take extra care not to start fires, whether it is simply disposing of cigarettes in a responsible manner, to being fire safe with outdoor activities such as camping and barbecuing. By following our simple safety tips you will help protect the countryside, and help to prevent fires starting in the first place.”
For further fire safety advice go to www.kent.fire-uk.org or call 0800 923 7000.