Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Fire crews chip away at kitchen safety

Publication date
19 June 2014
News release text
Fire crews are once again reminding people about the importance of watching what you heat and not leaving cooking unattended after a man suffered burns tackling a chip pan fire in his home. 
 
One fire engine was sent to the house in Folkestone Road, Church Hougham, just after 11pm last night (18 June). Dover Crew Manager, Jason Hills, said: “When the homeowner, a man thought to be in his early 60’s, discovered the blaze, he used a garden hose and managed to extinguish the fire but burnt his arm in the process. 
 
“Despite all our efforts to get the message across about the dangers of cooking with hot oil, we are still being called to a number of fires in the home involving the old style chip pans, with the kitchen being the main area where most house fires start.“ 
 
"In just a few minutes, the oil can overheat and cause the pan to ignite, with disastrous results. My advice is to throw away your old style chip pan - thermostatically controlled deep fat fryers are a far safer option as they can’t overheat. People often don’t realise how quickly a fire can take hold.” 
 
The fire destroyed the cooker and cupboards and the rest of the kitchen was damaged by smoke and water. The man had opened all the windows on the ground floor to ventilate the property. 
 
Jason added: “Unfortunately, there were no working smoke alarms in the property, which would have raised the alarm before the fire took hold and provided the early warning needed. The best advice we can give is don’t leave pans unattended, even for a short while.” 
 
Crews cut away kitchen cupboards to check for hotspots and were damping down until about 11.30pm and will be revisiting the property today to fit working smoke alarms and give home fire safety advice. 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon