Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Chip pan fire causes Ramsgate kitchen fire

Publication date
30 April 2014
News release text
An elderly Ramsgate man has been given treatment after suffering smoke inhalation caused by a fire which broke out from an unattended chip pan. 
 
Two fire engines were sent to the house in Pegwell Road, shortly after 8.30pm last night (29 April) and got to the scene within four minutes, dealing with the small fire in four minutes. 
 
Watch Manager Simon Brooks said: “The elderly man had left the pan and it caught light which meant he breathed in quite a lot of smoke so we gave him some oxygen. Although it wasn’t a large fire, it shows how quickly a blaze can break out and if he hadn’t realised what was happening and called us, this clearly could have been much more serious.” 
 
If you choose to deep fat fry your chips, these all-year-round fire safety tips could help reduce the risk: 
 
Don’t overfill a chip pan with oil – never fill it more than one-third full. 
Be careful that it doesn’t overheat - hot oil can catch fire easily. 
Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn’t get too hot 
Never throw water on a chip pan fire. 
Don’t cook after drinking alcohol. 
In the event of a fire, have an escape route in place. 
Don’t take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999. 
Get a smoke alarm and test it weekly. 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon