News release text
Godmersham resident has a working smoke alarm to thank for alerting them to a fire caused by unattended cooking.
On hearing the alarm, the Eggarton Lane resident realised the oven was alight and, after isolating the power to the appliance, quickly got out of their property and called the fire service.
Two fire engines attended the incident on Friday afternoon (21 March 2014) and dealt the fire, smothering the flames before removing the appliance to the rear garden. They then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to remove smoke from the building.
Crew Manager Darrell Tonks said: “Getting distracted and leaving cooking unattended is a common cause of fires in the home, but just three breaths of toxic fire smoke can render you unconscious. As this incident shows, having a working smoke alarm provides early warning, alerting the resident, and allowing them to escape and raise the alarm before it becomes a serious fire.”
This incident happened ahead of UK Home Safety Week (24-30 March), a campaign that Kent Fire and Rescue is supporting with the launch of a range of new short films which highlight the advice and services it offers to residents. Follow this link to view the films: Our home safety services.
The campaign is coordinated by the Chief Fire Officer’s Association (CFOA) and focusses on encouraging residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted on each floor of their homes.
KFRS Community Safety Manager Charlie Smith said: “A working smoke alarm as part of a home safety strategy is the most critical piece of lifesaving equipment any home can possess and the early warning it offers can mean the difference between life and death.”
To keep your alarms in working order follow these tips:
Test your smoke alarm by pushing the button on the first of every month
Check the packaging for your smoke alarm to make sure it’s still up to date
Make sure there is at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home
Fit smoke alarms on landings and hallways and in rooms which have an electrical appliance, e.g. a heater, or other risk
Take a moment to check on your loved ones who may need help to ensure they’re fully protected.
For further information on the free advice and services KFRS provides call 0800 923 7000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on CFOA’s campaign visit its website.