Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Man and dog rescued from flat fire

Publication date
11 March 2014
News release text
Firefighters rescued a man and his Staffordshire bull terrier dog after a blaze broke out in their first floor Margate flat in the early hours of this morning (11 March). 
 
Two crews from Margate arrived at the Tomlin Drive property at 1.06am, four and a half minutes after receiving the emergency call. 
 
Margate Watch Manager, Craig Newman, said: “Our Fire Control operators who took the 999 call did a great job of providing vital fire safety advice to the occupant who was trapped inside. They told him to stand by a window at the front of his flat, so that when we arrived we were able to go to the exact location. We then pitched a seven metre ladder to get the resident, thought to be in his mid 30’s, and his dog out of the window to safety.” 
 
Firefighters in breathing apparatus then forced entry into the property and used a hose reel to put the fire out. The small fire is thought to have started after a chip pan was accidentally left on the hob. 
 
A special fan was used to clear smoke from the flat and the stairwell. Crews were at the property for approximately an hour and other residents from the three-storey block of flats were also evacuated as a precaution. 
 
Craig added: “I cannot stress how important it is to take extra care in the kitchen, especially when you’re tired. If you’re not paying full attention to what you’re doing, the consequences can be potentially life threatening. It’s also vital that you keep exits clear so that you can escape if you are unlucky enough to have a fire in your home.” 
 
The fire was contained to the kitchen which was smoke damaged. The man was handed into the care of the ambulance service suffering from smoke inhalation. 
 
All residents in the county can get free fire safety advice from Kent Fire and Rescue Service or phone 0800 923 7000 (free from landlines).
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon