News release text
The importance of smoke alarms and the careful use of candles have both been highlighted after a fire in a Sandwich bedsit this morning.
The small fire started after a cushion fell on a candle and caught alight, after the resident dozed off in the three-storey Willow Bank town house.
Two fire engines were called to the property just after 6am this morning and Ramsgate Watch Manager, Chris Nation, said: “Fortunately the man woke up and discovered the small fire, which he managed to put out. However, he had a very lucky escape as the batteries in the smoke alarms had been taken out, so had not woken when he did, the outcome could have been very different.
“Smoke alarms are your first line of defence against fire in the home. They provide an early warning and the precious time needed to help you escape. Don’t put your life at risk by removing the batteries – if they need replacing swap the batteries immediately.”
The man thought to be in his mid 50’s was treated by ambulance crews for smoke inhalation The first floor lounge where the fire started was completely damaged by smoke. The cushion and a small amount of carpet were also damaged by the fire. Crews ventilated the lounge but did not have to carry out any firefighting.
Chris added: “Don’t let the careless use of candles start a fire in your home. Never leave them burning unattended, if you leave the room always extinguish them and keep them away from items that could easily catch fire such as curtains or soft furnishings.”
Get free fire safety advice or ring 0800 923 7000 (free from landlines).