Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Advice following microwave mishap

Publication date
31 January 2014
News release text
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is reminding residents to take care in the kitchen after a woman in her 80’s was taken to hospital due to smoke inhalation last night (Thursday). 
 
Firefighters were called to Sturry Hill near Canterbury shortly before 8pm after a microwave containing cutlery was accidently switched on, resulting in the knives and fork handles inside burning. The resident switched off the microwave but inhaled the pungent smoke that was issuing from the appliance. 
 
Crews arrived within seven minutes and quickly provided first aid, giving oxygen to the occupier before the arrival of the ambulance. 
 
Canterbury Crew Manager Paul Moore, who attended the incident, said: “Mistakes can and do happen so the best advice I can give people is to always take care in the kitchen and keep flammable items away from potential heat sources. 
 
“Thankfully the microwave didn’t catch alight but the woman had inhaled quite a lot of the fumes so we provided oxygen until the paramedics arrived at the scene.” 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon