Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Fire crews called to Broadstairs electrical fire

Publication date
10 December 2013
News release text
Ramsgate firefighters were called out to stem the flames after cooker electrics sparked a blaze in Broadstairs this morning (Tuesday). 
 
A woman and her two month old baby got out of their home unharmed and alerted the emergency services. 
 
Two fire engines were called to the flat in St Peter’s Road at 11.25am and fire crews wearing breathing apparatus, extinguished the flames with a hose reel. A positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to clear smoke and fumes from the property. 
 
Ramsgate Watch Manager, Dave Hudson, said: “Fire in the home can be devastating, but many of these fires are preventable. The majority of electrical fires start in the kitchen, so be extra careful when using cooking appliances. 
 
"It’s really important that everyone makes sure that their electrics are in good working order and are used properly, especially at this time of year with Christmas lights and other extra electrical items being brought out.” 
 
Dave added: “The property had a smoke alarm but it wasn’t working so it was very fortunate that the woman discovered the blaze when she did. Take care and follow our guidance to keep fire safe." 
 
The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the flat.
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon