News release text
A Herne Bay resident is this afternoon (Friday 15 November) clearing up his fire-damaged home after a meal of chips caused a kitchen blaze.
Fire crews from Herne Bay and Whitstable were sent to the two storey terraced home in East Street shortly after 3pm where they found the ground floor kitchen alight.
Herne Bay Watch Manager, John James, said: “The man’s chip pan caught light and he tried to tackle it himself but the fire spread to the extractor fan and units. At that point he decided to get out and call 999, fortunately he was not hurt.
“We wore breathing apparatus to enter the smoke filled property and a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire. This resident was extremely lucky and the incident serves as a reminder to people that they should not attempt to tackle the blaze themselves. We also ask again that they ditch the chip pan if possible, in favour of safer ways of cooking.”
The man had a working smoke alarm. Crews fitted another detector on the second floor of the house and gave safety advice. Key tips include:
Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn’t get too hot
Never throw water on a chip pan fire.
Don’t cook after drinking alcohol.
In the event of a fire, have an escape route in place.
Don’t take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999.
Get a smoke alarm and test it weekly.