News release text
A man was treated for smoke inhalation after attempting to tackle a fire in his neighbour’s home this morning.
The blaze is believed to have started after the homeowners left a candle burning unattended in a first floor living room; it fell off the table setting fire to other items in the room.
Two fire engines were sent to the three storey property in Tarragon Road at 7.15am and firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the small fire and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.
Maidstone Watch Manager, Chris Puxted, said: “It is believed the candle had been lit for religious purposes but then the homeowner had gone on the school run, leaving her older teenage daughter in the property. When the smoke alarm sounded, the girl left her home and alerted her neighbour, who went into the house and threw water over the fire but breathed in smoke in the process.”
The man was given oxygen therapy by firefighters before being taken to hospital by ambulance for precautionary checks.
Chris added: “My best advice is never leave candles burning unattended however, if a candle must burn continuously, be sure it is enclosed in a glass container and placed in a sink, on a metal tray, or in a deep basin filled with water.
“Fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and make sure all internal doors are closed. This will isolate the fire and stop it spreading.”
The property suffered fire damage to the room where the fire started and minor smoke damage.
For free home fire safety advice call Kent Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 923 7000 (free from landlines) or email firstname.lastname@example.org