A working smoke alarm proved invaluable after a fire broke out in a family home in Strood this morning.
Three residents were able to safely get out of their home and call Kent Fire and Rescue Service at around 10.14am after their smoke alarm was triggered by a fire in the kitchen of their Brompton Farm bungalow.
Two fire engines were sent to the property and were met with smoke billowing out of the front door. Crews used breathing apparatus to enter the smoke-logged home and a hose reel to quickly extinguish the small fire, while a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to remove the smoke.
Medway Crew Manager, Darryl Spicer, said: “Once again, this incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home. Without one, this fire may of remained undetected and prevented the family from being able to evacuate their home safely.”
“The occupiers did exactly the right thing in getting out of the property the moment the fire was discovered. Our advice to anyone unfortunate enough to have a fire break out in their home is always: get out, stay out, and call us out. Having a fire escape plan that everyone in your home knows is vital, as well as keeping exits clear so that you can get out easily if there is a fire."
A man was treated by paramedics at the scene for breathing in smoke but fortunately did not require hospital treatment.
The fire melted the front of the kitchen units and the entire bungalow was smoke damage.
For further advice on how to keep you, your family or a neighbour safe from fire call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.