A discarded disposable barbecue caused significant damage to a public amenities building
Firefighters are reminding people to make sure that disposable barbecues and coals are completely cold before they are disposed of after a blaze at the weekend.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service’s (KFRS) emergency control centre received a 999 call to reports of a bin fire just before 9pm on Friday evening, (26 June) and a fire engine from Whitstable was sent to Faversham Road, Seasalter.
Whitstable Crew Manager, Graeme Browning, said: “In the few minutes it took us to arrive, the fire had spread from the bin to the timber wall cladding on adjacent public toilets. Fortunately, thanks to the early call we received from a member of the public, we got there in time to prevent the whole building being destroyed.”
Crews used a hose reel jet to tackle the fire and a thermal imaging camera to check for fire spread. They also had to force entry into the locked amenities to ensure the fire had not spread internally. They made the building secure before leaving the scene close to 10pm.
Another view of the damage caused by careless disposal of a barbecue
Graeme added: “Every summer we get called to fires caused by barbecues that have either got out of control, been left unattended or discarded before they are cool. We want people to realise that they retain the heat for a long time and can cause a fire long after being thrown away so it would be advisable to consider pouring some water over the charcoal to ensure it’s fully out.”
Whitstable firefighters have been visiting the sea front in Seasalter and Tankerton talking to people about enjoying the opportunities the good weather brings but reminding them to follow some common sense barbecue fire safety advice to avoid injury or damage to property.