Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) is reminding residents about the importance of phoning 999 immediately if there is a fire in their home. The advice comes after an elderly woman was carried to safety by neighbours, after fire broke out in her Broadstairs home just before 9am this morning (Thursday).
The woman, who has mobility issues heard her smoke alarm sounding and went upstairs to investigate, thinking her tumble dryer was on fire but discovered towels in her shower room were alight. She returned to her bedroom and phoned her neighbours who immediately came to her aid, carrying her to safety and phoning 999.
KFRS arrived at the two-storey house in Trinity Square within minutes and firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the small fire and ventilated the property.
Margate Crew Manager, Nikki Escudier, said: “The woman had a very lucky escape thanks to the quick actions of her two neighbours.
“If you have an elderly relative or neighbour, please explain to them the importance of phoning 999 immediately, KFRS is here when we are needed. They are not wasting our time and shouldn’t be embarrassed to call us; it’s what we are here for and might just save their life.”
It is believed the woman, thought to be about 87-years-old, had accidentally dropped a cigarette in her bathroom, which sparked the small fire.
The woman and her two neighbours were all given oxygen therapy at the scene by firefighters after breathing in fire smoke.
Nikki ended: “If you are concerned that your home may be at risk of fire, or someone who you think needs our help, you can arrange a free home fire safety visit. Please give us a call on 0800 923 7000 (free from landlines) or email firstname.lastname@example.org”.