A mother from Minster narrowly escaped injury after attempting to extinguish a chip pan fire with water in Minster-on-Sea this evening (28 June).
When a smoke alarm sounded in the family home in Buttercup Avenue at around 5pm, the woman discovered that a pan of oil, which had been left unattended on the cooker had over heated and caught fire.
She removed it from the stove and tried to put it out using cold water and this caused the fat to explode into the kitchen.
Fortunately, no one was hurt but the kitchen was smoke damaged and there was some minor damage to a kitchen blind.
Firefighters offered the family some cooking fire safety advice and some tips on what to do in the event of a chip pan fire.
Watch manager Salt, from Eastchurch fire station, said: “Mealtimes can be a very busy time for families and it is easy to get distracted as you try to juggle many tasks. But I would urge people to make fire safety the main ingredient in the kitchen, and never leave cooking unattended.
“This lady was extremely fortunate not to have been seriously injured as a result of her actions in tacking this fire. If you are unlucky enough to have a chip pan fire, never put water on to hot oil, as it heats up, expands, turns to steam and rises in a big steam cloud. Each particle of steam is coated in burning oil and if you are near it you could be badly burned.”
“My advice would be turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so – but never lean over the pan to reach the controls and most importantly, get you and your family out of the property, stay out and call the fire service out.”
Learn more about kitchen fire safety with Kent Fire and Rescue Service's latest campaign that encourages residents to make fire safety their main ingredient in the kitchen.