In the evening of Wednesday, 19 July 2017, seven-year-old Isabelle Lowden smelt and saw puffs of smoke coming from the window of an elderly neighbour's property while she played in Shurlock Avenue, Swanley. She quickly ran to find her dad, Andy, and together they called 999 to report what she'd seen to fire control operators.
Two fire engines from Dartford fire station were on the scene within a few minutes, along with paramedics from South East Coast Ambulance Service. Upon entering the property, firefighters quickly established that there was no fire, but cooking had been left on the hob, filling the property with smoke and fumes, while the female occupant had taken a nap. The woman was given a precautionary check for the effects of breathing in smoke, but was not taken to hospital.
Station manager Lee Abel said: "Isabelle did exactly the right thing by finding a trusted adult and reporting what she'd seen. It's very likely that her actions saved a life today - her dad should rightly be very proud."
For free advice and information about home safety, call our advisors on 0800 923 7000 or email your preferred contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you.