Firefighters are issuing safety warnings after a woman suffered burns after putting petrol onto a barbecue in Folkestone last night, Sunday, (25 June).
Kent Fire and Rescue Service received a 999 call to Walmer Way at 8.16pm and two fire engines were quickly on the scene.
Folkestone Watch Manager, John Howard, explains what happened: “Unfortunately, the woman had tried to get her barbecue started by putting petrol on it. This had disastrous results and caused the fire to flare up. In her panic, the woman knocked the barbecue over; burning her leg and hand quite badly.”
Fire crews administered first aid, oxygen and cooled the burns until ambulance crews arrived.
A neighbour had extinguished the fire using a dry powder extinguisher prior to firefighters arriving, which prevented it causing any serious damage to the property.
John added: “Having a barbecue should be a safe and enjoyable experience. Using petrol to get your fire started is very dangerous and can have life-changing effects.
“Please don’t take unnecessary risks, it’s just not worth it. Follow our safety tips below and ensure you have a safe and enjoyable experience.”
Firefighters fitted an additional smoke detector on the first floor of the woman’s home and gave her safety advice.
Barbecue safety advice:
- Never leave the barbecue unattended
- Keep a bucket of sand or water nearby for emergencies
- Ensure the barbecue is cool before attempting to move it
- Dispose of barbecue coals carefully and only when completely cooled
- Keep your barbecue well away from trees, shrubs, fences or sheds
- Never use petrol or other accelerants to get your barbecue started
Further barbecue safety advice.