A smoke alarm saved the day for a Sheerness family after fire broke out in their home last night (11 June).
Firefighters were called at 11.06pm to a house in Victory Street, and tackled a blaze in a first- floor bedroom.
Residents had heard a smoke alarm sounding upstairs and, discovering there was a fire, they quickly shut the bedroom door, exited the property and raised the alarm.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the house and used a hose reel to put out the fire. They also used a thermal imaging camera to ensure it was fully extinguished.
The blaze is believed to have been caused by an iron, that had been left on accidently, which had set fire to nearby clothing and textiles.
Sheppey Crew Manager Ashby said: “Fortunately, due to the early warning provided by the smoke alarm, the family was able to raise the alarm quickly and we were able to contain the fire to the bedroom.”
He praised the family’s actions on finding the fire: “They did exactly the right thing in shutting the bedroom door and getting out of the property. This helped to reduce the amount of smoke and fire damage to their home and reduced the risk of being injured or breathing in smoke.”
“This incident highlights just how important it is to have working smoke alarms fitted on each floor of your home – without them the incident could have been far more severe, so I would urge residents to check theirs are working today and test them weekly.”
He added: “I would also remind residents to take extra care with electrical items and ensure they are switched off after use.”