Firefighters have issued a safety plea to people with braziers, chimineas or fire pits when using them this summer; ‘never leave them unattended’.
The warning comes as the warmer months are now here and with a growing trend of people spending the evenings outside in the garden sitting around a fire pit or brazier. Despite their atmospheric and social benefits, they also come with serious risks. One Kent family knows only too well after experiencing the consequences of leaving theirs alight when they left the house over the bank holiday weekend.
On Saturday 25 May 2019, Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a property in Harold Street, Queenborough on Sheppey at 9.06pm. A neighbour raised the alarm after they’d spotted a fire that had spread to their fencing.
Crews arrived to find an outhouse well alight. It’s thought to have started from a brazier burning off wood which had been left too close to the property, and was still alight when the owners went out. The fire spread causing extensive damage to the outhouse, lean-too conservatory and the neighbours fencing; but it could have been a lot worse.
Crew Manager Stephen Smart said: “Fortunately fire damage was limited to the external structure only and was prevented from entering the property, but this could have had the potential to have been more serious, had the neighbours not been around.”
Stephen added: “It’s incredibly important to remember some really simple safety measures when enjoying braziers, fire pits or chimineas. Always make sure any waste burning equipment is positioned in a safe location away from property, and other combustible items. Most important is to never leave them unattended. Another important tip is to make sure there’s a full water bucket readily available just in case.
For more safety advice, please call the KFRS Home Safety team on 0800 923 7000 or search ‘KFRS barbeques’ online.