Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News releases > September 2018 > Schoolboy praised for swift actions after greenhouse blaze
Schoolboy praised for swift actions after greenhouse blaze

Schoolboy praised for swift actions after greenhouse blaze

21 September 2018

Firefighters have praised the actions of a Folkestone schoolboy after a fire broke out at his home on Wednesday morning (19 September).

At around 8.15am, 11-year-old Reilly Fleming was at home in Cornwallis Close getting ready to go to school when he noticed that a greenhouse adjoining the property looked a bit strange, and realised a fire had broken out inside.

His mum and dad had already left the house to go to work, so Reilly quickly dialled 999 and went next door to alert the neighbours. He then waited at the top of the road to direct the crew to his house and gave them full details of what was on fire.

The crew tackled the fire in the greenhouse with a hose reel, while wearing breathing apparatus.

Folkestone station leader, Vic Thorogood, who was in charge of the incident, said: “Reilly was brilliant and told me he had learnt what to do in such events from watching Fireman Sam on TV when he was little… his actions really saved the day.”

“Our crew think Reilly deserves a big Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) pat on the back for his swift actions.”

When the fire was out, a KFRS fire control operator got in touch with Reilly’s mum, Michelle, to let her know what had a happened and reassure her that Reilly was okay. Michelle quickly rushed home from her job as a primary school teacher and a fire crew was sent back to the property to offer reassurance and advice.

Michelle said: “Reilly was so amazing and far more cool, calm and collected than I think I would have been in that situation. If he hadn’t spotted the fire, and acted so quickly, it could easily have spread to our home. We’re so proud of him.

“The fire crew were so quick in dealing with the fire and also in reassuring me and calming me down too, which I was very grateful for.”

The cause of the fire is believed to have been heat from small electric fan heater within the green house, that been switched on accidently, setting fire to some boxes.

KFRS advice about what to do it there is a fire in your home.

           
 

 

 

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon