How do I reduce the risk of arson?
Did you know that the most serious fire risk to your premises is from deliberate fire.
If you own or manage a business then the following questions should be considered.
• Are perimeter fences secure and in a good state of repair?
• Are entrance gates kept to a minimum and well supervised?
• Is security lighting installed and operating efficiently?
• Is CCTV installed?
• Is access to the roof via drainpipes and trees denied?
• Are access doors to the building kept to the minimum compatible with the requirements for
means of escape?
• Are these access doors available only from the inside (secured by a single fastening operated
without the need for a key)?
• Are windows and skylights intact and secured outside of working hours?
• Do you stack combustible storage against the outer wall of the building or adjacent to the
• Has there been any recent examples of vandalism and graffiti in the area?
• Is there an effective access control system?
• Has an intruder alarm been installed?
• Are critical areas of the building illuminated out of working hours?
• Is there an effective system for the secure storage of raw materials and finished products?
• Is waste material kept to a minimum and securely stored?
• Is access to flammable liquids, gases and other chemicals denied to the intruder?
• Is access to ignition sources denied to the intruder?
• Are contractors adequately supervised?
• Are you aware of any discontent amongst members of staff?