Preparing external strong boxes
What is a strong box?
Strong boxes, also known as an emergency document safe, can save vital seconds in the event of an emergency. Kent Fire and Rescue Service can utilise these strong boxes when arriving on your site to obtain critical information that will assist us when deciding on the course of action we will take.
The information stored within these boxes will vary from business to business, however, they could contain information to aid us with access into the premises, such as door codes, and provide vital details about the most vulnerable people that may be on site. The strong box may contain any tools that may be required to be used in the premises to access areas or shut off facilities such as keys or electronic fobs.
Fire crews can plan their strategies from the information that is contained in the emergency document safe and allows us to make faster decisions that could save lives and property. It is important to ensure these boxes are accessible and recognisable at all times and are located on an external part of the building. You can also inform us of the location of the safe so we are aware of its position upon arrival.
What should a strong box contain?
Creating the documentation that would be useful is something that you would be able to achieve yourself; simply see below for some of the possible items you could prepare and place within a strong box:
- Detailed premises plan (ideally laminated to protect against the elements) to include fire escape routes, fire safety measures such as detection and emergency lighting and location of fire extinguishers.
- Information on service isolation points (gas, water, electricity) sprinkler stop valves, the location of ventilation switches (if installed).
- Emergency evacuation procedure details (inclusive of personal emergency evacuation plans and highlighting any mobility issues of users)
- Space keys and access codes
- An emergency contacts list
Remember, the above list is a general recommendation and is not exhaustive. Every business is different and your strong box contents should reflect your needs.