House fire in Broadstairs
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Hugin Avenue in Broadstairs to reports of a house fire. Two fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished a blaze in a first floor bedroom, using a hose reel jet and a main jet. The fire is believed to have started accidentally after radiated heat from a hairdryer set fire to bedding. There were no reported injuries.
Following this incident, fire crews are urging people to take care after using heated electrical items. Leanne McMahon, Group Manager for Community Safety said: “Even if you've unplugged an electrical item, if it’s something that heats up for use, such as hair straighteners, it can take some time to cool down fully. Straight after use be sure to place these items in a safe place to cool, away from bedding, clothing, curtains or carpet, to avoid radiated heat causing a fire. It's best to wait until items are fully cooled before storing them away.”