Support after an incident

Kent Fire and Rescue Service is here for everyone. If you have witnessed or been involved in a fire, or incident such as a road crash, rescue or emergency, we’re here to help. Please take a look at the information and advice below to learn more about the help and support available, including what to do after a fire, additional considerations for business owners, coping with traumatic events and more.

Your experience matters

You can also tell us about your experience, what you found helpful and any suggestions you may have  by filling out a short questionnaire. You'll find more information at the bottom of this page, or simply go straight to the questionnaire

Volunteer Response Team

What to do after a fire

After a fire there can be a lot to think about and do, ranging from insurance to cleaning and security.  Our dedicated 'What to do after a fire'  page contains helpful information about what to do and who to contact in such a situation.

Learn what to do after a fire
fire pumps at a business premises

For businesses

If you are a business owner, responsible person or building owner there will be additional considerations you will need to take into account. Please take a look at our 'If you business has a fire' page which has lots of helpful information for business owners and responsible persons. 

If your business has a fire

Traumatic events

Whether you are directly involved in, or witness a traumatic event - from a fire in the home to car crashes - everyone feels and reacts differently

If you, or someone you care about, has experienced a traumatic incident, it's important to know how and when to seek help.  The help needed may range from practical assistance such as help with finding emergency temporary accommodation, to advice on coping with the emotional effects of what has happened.

Looking after your own wellbeing and that of those you care about is important. Below you will find further details about the different types of  help and advice available.


Nowhere to stay?

If you’re unable to stay in your home, the following organisations may be able to offer assistance:

  • Contact your local council's housing department which may be able to help with temporary accommodation.
  • Help With Homelessness offers a brief assessment includes questions relating to those who have lost their home through fire, flood or another disaster, and directs you to the appropriate local authority.
  • The British Red Cross works with Kent Fire and Rescue Service. With specially adapted response vehicles the Red Cross can provide both practical and emotional support in an emergency. Their central contact number is 0344 871 11 11.
  • Check your insurance policy as some may cover alternative accommodation in the event of an emergency.

Coping with the after effects

It is normal for a person to experience some emotional and physical reactions following a traumatic event for up to 28 days, such as disturbed sleep or feeling tearful or sad. Helpful information about coping with the effects of trauma, both emotionally and in relation to a person’s mental health, is available from:

  • NHS England - information about some of the feelings you may experience, things you can do to help, and useful links and leaflets.
  • The Mental Health Foundation - provides information about what happens when a person experiences a traumatic event, what to do and where to seek help.

Talking to someone




Sometimes people need to talk to a professional about what has happened. Your GP may be able to recommend someone accredited near you or you can find counsellors listed by area on the Counselling Directory


Kent County Council's Release the Pressure counselling service

Kent County Council - Release the Pressure for free confidential support 24/7 from trained counsellors on 0800 107 0160 or text the word Kent to 85258. 


The Samaritans are available to help anyone going through any sort of crisis or difficulty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by phone, email and letter. Calls to the Samaritans are free on 116 123.

Their website also provides information about what they do, and what you can do to help yourself or someone you are supporting.


Brake is a charity dedicated to those who have been bereaved or seriously injured in a road crash, and those supporting them. The assistance they provide ranges from legal support to providing a named caseworker to assist with a variety of issues.

Their confidential National Road Victim Service Helpline on 0808 8000 401 is open Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm or you can email

Amparo - support following suicide

Amparo is part of the 'Listening ear' charity and provides free, confidential emotional and practical support for those affected by suicide. Learn more on their website or call them on 0330 088 9255.

Victim Support

Victim Support is an independent charity dedicated to supporting victims of crime and traumatic incidents in England and Wales.

Tell us about your experience

If you have recently experienced a fire or other emergency that we attended, please tell us about it.  Your input will help us to constantly improve and help others who find themselves in the same situation. 

Tell us about your experience

Get in touch

If you would like help or advice, get in touch with our friendly team

by phone on:  01622 692 121 (during office hours only)


by email to:

 In the case of an emergency please dial 999 and ask for the fire and rescue service.