Fire safety and businesses

Businesses have a legal duty to ensure their premises are safe for everyone who uses or visits them. If you own, run or are a responsible person for a business, Kent Fire and Rescue Service are here to offer you help and advice on understanding your responsibilities and how to take precautions, minimise the risk and meet the legal requirements.

The Fire Safety (England) Regulations 2022

Responsible Persons (RPs) will need to plan and prepare for the Regulations which came into force on the 23 January 2023. Some of the actions you will need to take will depend on the height and type of building you are an RP for. To learn more - including how to submit your documents - please see below.

What do you want to know?

The Fire Safety Act 2021

The Fire Safety Act 2021 came into effect on 16 May 2022 and affects Responsible Persons.

Learn about the Fire Safety Act 2021


The Fire Risk Assessment Prioritisation Tool (FRAPT) is to help Responsible Persons prioritise updating and reviewing their fire risk assessment.

Learn about FRAPT

Fire Safety (England) Regulations 2022

What Responsible Persons and/or building owners need to know and do.

Learn about the new Regulations

Submit your information

Learn what information needs to be submitted to KFRS and upload it.


Submit your plans and forms

Secure Information Box

Also known as Premises Information Boxes, learn what the new Fire Safety Regulations require.

Secure Information Box

Fire Risk Assessments

Learn about fire risk assessments for your premises.

Fire Risk Assessments

High rise buildings

Important advice and information for owners or Responsible Persons for high rise residential buildings.

High rise buildings

Licensing and licensed premises

Learn about licensing and fire safety.

Licensed premises

Event Fire Safety

From music festivals to village fetes, there is  a legal duty to ensure the safety of the public. Learn about event safety.

Event fire safety

Fire alarms

The type of alarm or alarm system you use for your business will depend on your type of premises.Learn about the type of alarm that may be required.

Fire alarms

Business safety advice

From farming to firework displays, take a look at our safety advice page. 

Business Advice


KFRS have a duty to enforce safety standards and endeavour to help businesses comply with their legal duties.  

Learn about our Enforcement Poilicy

Primary Authority Partnerships

A Primary Authority Partnership is a legally recognised partnership between a business and Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS). The partnership provides the business with assured tailored advice which is respected by other enforcing authorities.

Learn more on our Primary Authority Partnerships page.

Primary Authority Partnerships

Need help? Contact us

If you have  questions or need advice or guidance, our Business Safety Team are here to help with free, friendly advice on making your business or regulated building compliant with fire safety regulations.

Business safety helpline

Public event safety enquiries - advice and information for public event organisers

Building regulations consultations

Enquiries for the general public and approved inspectors on planning matters and building design:

Please note: Any electronic consultation submission to us via email is restricted to a maximum file size of 35 megabytes including attachments and should not contain Zip file attachments.