Out of control bonfire in Canterbury
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Harcourt Drive in Canterbury after a bonfire in the back garden of a home, became out of control, spreading to nearby bins, a hedge and a car. One fire engine attended and crews used a hose reel jet to put the fire out. There were no reported injuries. The bonfire became out of control when it was left it unattended.
Following this, firefighters are urging people to take care when having a bonfire. Leanne McMahon, Group Manager for Community Safety said: “Remember to build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences, hedges and overhanging branches, and keep it to a manageable size. Also, make sure it's evenly built so it collapses inwards as it burns. It’s really important not to leave bonfires unattended, and if it has to be left, damp it down with water.