Garden fire near Park Wood, Maidstone
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a fire at a home in Bell Meadow, near Park Wood, in Maidstone.
Two fire engines attended and crews used hose reel jets to extinguish the blaze, which is believed was caused accidentally when flames from a fire pit spread to a wooden gazebo, as well as a neighbouring fence and shed. Damage was also caused to a flat roof.
No casualties were reported.
Following the incident, firefighters are reminding people to always take care when lighting an outdoor fire, including fire pits, chimineas and barbecues.
You can help to reduce the risk of an emergency by following these simple safety tips:
• Keep fire pits, chimineas and barbecues well away from any property and overhanging branches
• Check the surrounding area is clear of any items which could catch fire
• Never leave any outdoor fire unattended and make sure it’s completely cooled before moving it
• Never put ashes straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin