Candle causes fire in Gillingham home
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Shakespeare Road in Gillingham, to reports of a house fire. Two fire engines attended and crews used a hose reel jet to extinguish a bedroom door alight.
The fire is believed to have started accidentally after a candle burning overnight set fire to a dressing gown hanging on the bedroom door. Fortunately the occupant was woken up by his smoke alarm sounding, however he was handed into the care of SECAmb paramedics suffering the effects of smoke inhalation.
Firefighters are now reminding people to take care to enjoy candles safely at home, by following these top tips:
• Candles should be fitted in a candle holder, placed on a non-flammable surface.
• They shouldn't be left unattended when burning.
• Make sure they aren't burning close to curtains, bedding, clothing or even plants which might catch fire.
• Be sure not to place burning candles on window sills or on the floor.
• Extinguish them before going to bed.
• Burning candles shouldn't be placed anywhere where they might be knocked over or caught in a draught.
• Remember to buy a smoke alarm and test it regularly.
Location of incident
Shakespeare Road, Gillingham, Kent, ME7