Bedroom fire in Gillingham home
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a terraced property on the Broadway, Gillingham this morning. Two fire engines were sent and arrived within minutes of receiving the 999 call.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the property and used a hose reel and positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the blaze. The family (two adults and two children) were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarms sounding and a crackling noise, which they thought was a radio.
The mother took the two children out of the property to safety, while the father attempted to tackle the blaze by removing soft furnishings and cuddly toys to the bathroom. Unfortunately, this resulted in the fire spreading to the bathroom and the man suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.
Emotional support was provided to the family by neighbours until the Red Cross Victim Support vehicle arrived.
The man was taken to hospital for precautionary checks. The fire caused 40 per cent fire damage to the bedroom and 10 per cent to the bathroom. The upper floor of the house was 90 per cent smoke damaged. The fire is believed to have been caused by a fault within an electrical socket.
Start date and time
Hose reel jet,Breathing apparatus,Positive pressure ventilation fan
- South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb)
- British Red Cross