Beach hut fire in Margate
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a beach hut alight near the Royal Esplanade in Margate. Two fire engines were sent to the scene and firefighters used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze.
The fire is believed to have been started accidentally as a result of heat radiating from a used disposable barbecue, which had been left between the beach hut and the promenade. Following the incident, crews are reminding the public to be extra cautious when having a barbecue. Remember to keep barbecues away from buildings, sheds, fences, overhanging branches and any other foliage that could catch fire. Never leave barbecues unattended and when the cooking is finished, ensure it has been fully extinguished and cooled.