Out of control bonfire in Swanley
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to an out of control bonfire on St Mary's Road in Swanley. Two fire engines were sent to the scene, and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the bonfire. No casualties were reported.
Crews are reminding the public if they wish to light a bonfire, to take extra precautions and keep our safety tips in mind, to reduce the risk of an emergency:
- Never leave bonfires unattended
- Avoid lighting them in windy conditions
- Once you have finished with it, dampen it down fully with water making sure that the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving
- Keep them well away from buildings, trees, foliage and overhanging branches