Hot ash starts fire in Whitstable
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire at a domestic property on Island Wall in Whitstable. Three fire engines were sent to the scene and firefighters arrived to an external fire rapidly spreading on the corner of the building. Crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets and a main jet to tackle the blaze, and worked quickly to prevent any internal fire spread.
The fire is believed to have started accidentally after hot ash was emptied from a log burning stove and stored outside in a bag. The heat from the ash is thought to have spread to a nearby bin, before igniting and spreading to the building. Following the incident, crews are reminding the public to never put hot ashes into the bin, and to ensure the ash has fully cooled before safe and appropriate disposal.