Domestic property fire in Ashford
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire in a domestic property on Holt Close in Ashford. Two fire engines were sent to the scene and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze. No casualties were reported and the fire is believed to have started on the kitchen hob, due to cooking being left unattended.
Following the incident, firefighters are urging the public to take extra care in the kitchen and to never leave cooking unattended. You can help prevent a kitchen fire in your own home by following some simple tips:
• Keep an eye on your cooking and remember to switch off your cooker if you have to leave the room
• Avoid storing or placing household items on your cooker or stove
• Keep your cooker, grill and oven clean to avoid a build-up of grease or fat that could start a fire
• Fit a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and test it weekly to ensure it provides early warning in the event of a fire