Bedroom fire in Rochester
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a bedroom fire at a flat in Keating Close, Rochester.
Two fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to extinguish the flames.
It’s believed the incident was caused accidentally when a candle set fire to bedding and a bedside table in the third floor home.
A resident managed to safely close the bedroom door before evacuating the property, and contain any damage to just the one room.
One person was treated by crews at the scene for smoke inhalation, before being passed into the care of SECAmb.
When using candles in the home, always make sure they are:
- Fitted in a candle holder, and placed on a non-flammable surface.
- Never left unattended when burning, especially with young children or pets in the home.
- Not placed close to curtains, bedding, clothing or even plants, which might catch fire.
- Not placed on window sills, on the floor, or anywhere they might be knocked over or caught in a draught.
- Extinguished before going to bed, or going out.