Chimney fire near Canterbury
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a chimney fire on Elbridge Hill, near Canterbury. Three fire engines were sent to the scene, and crews wearing breathing apparatus used ladders, small tools, a hose reel jet and chimney gear to gain access and extinguish the fire. No casualties were reported, and the cause is believed to be accidental due to a build up of soot in the chimney flue.
Following the incident, crews are reminding the public to ensure chimneys, woodburners and fireplaces are regularly swept to reduce the risk of a fire. An open fire or stove can be a focal point in your home, but they must be properly maintained to help prevent fires and structural damage to your property.