Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a flat fire on West Street in Sheerness. Two fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to tackle the blaze. No casualties were reported and the fire is believed to have started accidentally due to a candle.
Following the fire, crews are reminding the public to take extra care when using candles in the home. Keep them well away from flammable items, ensure they're fitted in a candle holder, and placed on a non-flammable surface. You should also never leave them unattended when lit, and extinguish them fully if you need to leave the room.