Shed and fence fire in Maidstone
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a shed and fence fire on Sittingbourne Road in Maidstone. Two fire engines were in attendance, and crews arrived to a fire spreading through the shed, surrounding fences and trees. Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and extinguished the blaze using a hose reel jet. No casualties were reported, and the fire is believed to have started accidentally after embers from a nearby bonfire caught the shed and fence alight.
Firefighters are reminding the public to avoid having bonfires where possible during this time, but if you do choose to have one, to do so safely. You should always build your bonfire well clear of any property, trees or fences, and never left unattended. Once you are finished with the bonfire, dampen it down fully with water to ensure the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving.